Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? Ten ideas for picking a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is one of the fastest evolving fields of medicine. Never ever before have so numerous new techniques and clinical developments emerged in such a brief amount of time. LASIK surgery, which utilizes an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, uses millions of people the chance to decrease or eliminate their requirement for glasses or contacts .
Tv and radio ads are filled with amazing stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the fast and pain-free method to fix vision, but stories are likewise appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist guarantee that you will more than happy with your outcomes?
The essential to safe surgery in any field of medication is an informed patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction cosmetic surgeons in a nationwide survey by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following guidelines to quality care and treatment.
1. Discover a doctor by getting recommendations from other physicians or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
2. Don't be tricked by expensive ads about a specific laser. Choose the medical professional, not the laser. Learn who will actually do your procedure, then inquire about that doctor's qualifications (e.g., board accreditation, special training).
3. Choose a physician who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not understand can harm you.
Ask for info on your doctor's LASIK eye surgery problem rates. If your physician won't tell you, discover another one.
Ask exactly what steps are taken to avoid infection. Firmly insist that your eye is thoroughly sterilized, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be sanitized prior to your eye laser surgery to eliminate the threat of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Beware of advertisements pressing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount surgery is as excellent as a discount parachute. The potential savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than expert care!
7. Anticipate to see very well after LASIK, but don't anticipate to see completely. Each patient gets a somewhat various result. The very best cosmetic surgeon on the planet can't ensure 20/20 vision. Similar to any eye laser surgery, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Beware of any medical professional who guarantees 20/20 vision.
If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
9. Implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK if your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so. Consider waiting until the new lenses are readily available. Ask your medical professional about them and other current advances.
10. While you examine, do not forget the benefits: for many people, find here a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has improved the eyesight of millions of individuals around the world.